1 ．B 2.A 3.C 4.D 5. B 6.A 7.B 8.A 9. C 10.A
II．D 12.C 13. D 14.A 15. C 16.D 17.B 18.C I9. A 20.D
1. I was a black and was looked down on because of the ugly shadow of
racism in 1976.
2. It means that the man was different from others for he was honest
and paid debts.
3. The farmer's attitude toward me changed when he learned that I was
the son of an honest man who
was different from other blacks.
4. Because American social morality has changed for the worse.
5. Because people believe in honesty and this helps me in my life.
Comprehension o f the Text
1.F 2.T 3.F 4.T 5.T 6.T 7.F 8.T
1 . melted 2. restore 3. initiative 4. obligation, 5. induce
6. lest 7. relief 8. furnish 9. enquire 10. meanwhile
Exercises on Web course only:
11. deposit 12: intent 13. behave 14.amused 15. glue
1. kept his word 2: shrugged off 3. melted away 4. enquire into 5.
6. pave the way for 7. hold up 8. fall apart 9. wipe away 10. on
Comprehension o f the text
1. He lived a poor and miserable life during his childhood.
2. Because no one in Britain appeared to appreciate his talent for
comedy. His comic figures did not
conform to British standards.
3. Because his dress and behavior didn't seem that English.
4. It was the first movie in which Chaplin spoke.
5. He used his physical senses to invent his art as he went along
without a prepared script.
6. His transformation of lifeless objects into other kinds of objects,
plus the skill with which he
executed it again and again.
7. She brought stability a